How to Choose Skincare Products this Summer Guide
Have you ever noticed how your normal skin becomes greasy or how it feels uncomfortably dry and flaky in hot weather? The wardrobe is not the only thing that evolves with the season, you need to change your skincare routine too.
1. How do I choose the right skincare products?
Be it the internet, newspaper or a television commercial, anywhere you turn, a lot of companies have been selling skincare products that promise glowing and younger-looking skin. All the information and the claims can be quite overwhelming but remember the product is good only if it suits you. Here is the checklist that can help you to select the right skincare product.
Assess your skin typeThe skin type is the most crucial factor in determining what product can work best for you. It is quite easy to distinguish between dry and oily skin types, but an understanding combination of sensitive skin is somewhat trickier. Other than the skin type, look for specific skincare concerns that you want to treat, such as acne, wrinkles, rosacea, age spots, etc. For example, if you want to control premature ageing, then go for an anti-ageing skincare moisturizing cream rather than a regular moisturiser.
Check the ingredientsEven the best ingredients can harm your skin if they are not meant for your skin type. Usually, the top five ingredients have close to 80% contribution in the product formulation. So, check the list and be cautious about the chemicals that can cause allergies. Some of the active ingredients that sit well on all skin types are glycerine, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B3, retinol etc.
Go for a patch testField experience is always better than a theoretical one. After applying the product, look for any instant itchiness or redness, reject it in case you feel any other discomfort. These days many brands have come up with mini tester packaging for this purpose.
Consult a dermatologistA skincare expert can help you to determine the exact concern even before it becomes noticeable. You can get full guidance regarding your skin type, skin concerns and what ingredients to look for.
2. How do I know what skincare works for me?
Having a good skincare routine is important for glowing and healthy-looking skin. The basic requirements are cleansing, toning, moisturizing and scrubbing. Here are some of the steps that can help you to determine what skincare works best for you.
- The skin type is the most crucial factor in choosing the best skin care products that sit well on your skin. Dry skin needs more hydration, so you might have to add face oil or an oil-based serum over a moisturiser to get that perfect skin texture. On the other hand, this combination is not valid for oily and greasy skin. Similarly, you need to make alterations in your skincare routine if you have some specific skin concerns. For example, If you have dark circles, then add a vitamin C skincare serum such as Powerful-Strength Dark Circle Reducing Vitamin C Eye Serum. This powerful serum makes the skin more resilient and helps in maintaining healthy blood circulation.
- Before trying any new product, always check the directions mentioned on the label and go for a patch test first. The field experience is always better than a theoretical one. After applying the product, look for any instant itchiness or redness, reject it in case you feel any other discomfort. These days many brands have come up with mini tester packaging for this purpose. You can try various products and can evaluate them according to their performance.
- Consult a dermatologist regarding your queries related to the skin type, skin concerns and how to develop a healthy skincare routine.
How can I get flawless skin in summer?
As the temperature rises, the excess heat and humidity can activate your oil glands with excessive sebum production. Summers can be brutal for your skin if you don’t follow a good skincare routine as a line of defence. Here are some useful tips on how to protect your skin during the summertime.
- As the skin tends to produce more oil during summers, timely cleansing and scrubbing is essential. Oily skin is at high risk as the pores can easily get clogged, which can cause acne breakouts.
- Invest in a good quality sunscreen with a broad UV spectrum. Not only the face, but you also need to protect arms, legs and other exposed parts of the body. Frequent sun-exposed can also cause chapped lips. Go for Kiehl`s Limited Edition Butterstick Lip Treatment with SPF 25 that deeply condition the lips and keep them hydrated for 12 hours.
- Warm temperature can cause dehydration, especially in dry skin. So, update your moisturizer or go for a hydrating facial oil that helps to lock in the essential nutrients and required moisture. Kiehl`s Limited Edition Midnight Recovery Concentrate is formulated with lavender and primrose essential oils that provide intense hydration to the skin, which stays throughout the day.
- Add a lot of antioxidants to your diet by consuming nutritious fruits and vegetables. Healthy eating is important during summertime. Antioxidants protect the skin from sun damage and also boost collagen production.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Wherever you go, just carry a water bottle and keep sipping.
What should we apply on the face in summer?
The increase in temperature, combined with excess humidity, can activate the sebaceous glands of the skin. This makes oily skin look oilier, and dry skin appears rough and flaky. The high intensity of the sun rays causes more melanin production, which leads to skin tanning. Summer skincare is different for various skin types. If you have oily and acne-prone skin, then make sure to clean your face frequently with a mild face wash as your open pores can easily get clogged. Dry skin can experience redness and roughness during summers which can lead to premature ageing. Update your moisturizer and go for Kiehl’s Super Multi-Corrective Anti-Aging Face and Neck Cream; it is a lightweight formula infused with the goodness of hyaluronic acid that hydrates the skin and controls the early signs of ageing like wrinkles, fine lines, age spots and so on. Other than this, applying sunscreen with a broad UV spectrum is a must during summers. So, whatever skincare product you apply, add a coat of SPF protection as the first line of defence.